Sunday, April 22, 2012

How can things be similiar and so different?

Here in Indonesia it is a Muslim nation. I will admit I thought I would find a nation much like I imagine Iran to be, this is not the case. We have been staying in the city of Bandung, it is one of the bigger cities with approximately 4.5 million people in it. (It's like having almost all of Norway's population in Oslo). Here there are more malls than, I believe the States can boast about. There are shops and stands on every inch of the street, it seems. So I have noticed women in head coverings and such, but I notice materialism too. I find it a lot like the States (a primarily Christian nation), many people are just living for themselves with not much thought to what religion they are suppose to be or not be. I did not expect to see/think this. The villages are different, more Muslim, less materialism, it seems. Yet, the villages are mostly farming, therefore there isn't a lot of extra time. They farm all by hand, rice primarily.
I'm sure there are quite a lot of differences, but I think I am surprised about the similarities. As for the differences, I've noticed my heart of intercession increasing being here. I know that I do not understand the culture, especially their view on women, but I can pray. The song I find myself singing over this nation is "Freedom Reigns" by Jesus Culture - Freedom can reign in this place!

(below are pictures of a farming, it is breathtaking, especially when you realize it was created by hand.)






No comments:

Post a Comment