Monday, October 29, 2012

Four weeks down & to celebrate - SNOW!

Go here to read the article and see a video (it is in Norwegian).
 http://h-a.no/Nyheter/Nyheter/tabid/72/articleView/true/moduleid/183501/Default.aspx

Winter has come, so why hasn't the understanding of the language come as well?  Yes, I must admit that I am not fluent yet.  Most of you will not be surprised, but I think I am disappointed a little.  You may have noticed I did not post last week.  A quick recap, at the end of week three I had got a horrible headache, felt sick and didn't study for 3 days (It's hard to say I did not study, as I live with Norwegians who speak Norwegian around me all the time, but I  was not very proactive about my learning.  Let's call it a bit of a breakdown.) 

So, last week - week four - I took it easier to avoid any such breakdowns again.  I think I took it too easy, because I feel like I am going backwards as it is harder, not easier, to understand when people talk Norwegian.  The truth is I hear Norwegian quite a LOT.  This is good, but so frustrating when I do not understand.  Let's just say, I am quiet at the dinner table and my roommates know they can still speak privately even if I am in the same room.  I pick up words and sometimes sentences, but complete thoughts are a blur to me. 

The good news is my two months are not over as I do not leave here until December 9th.  I knew it would take a couple of months, but secretly, I hoped I would be an amazingly fast learner and BAM! I would know Norwegian.  I suppose I need reminding from God that learning...IS A PROCESS.  Honestly, this is a good reminder, often when I am in a process of building character I want "instant" results, as well.  Character, language, so many things take time in life and should be pursued but not rushed.  Society, technology tells me different, they say that I should do things in a rush.  They say if I wait life will be boring or worse my life, what I want out of life will become obsolete.  Some things are worth the time and are actually better with time.  Things like: character, relationships, learning things (playing guitar, engineering, medicine, etc...and apparently language).  

Norwegian isn't the only thing I am learning during my time here, and I am sure this will continue to be the case.  I must remember growth...is a process!

2 comments: