Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Week Two of Learning Norwegian


Week two can be summed up with the word: Improvement. 

When I first arrived here speaking, having an actual conversations in Norwegian was not a reality, but now I can have small conversations.  Of course, the subject matter is limited, but at least now I am able to practice speaking.  The Norwegians here continue to have a LOT of patience, and they agree that I have improved.  The highlight of my week was when a friend from Skien called and we had a conversation for 45 minutes in Norwegian.  It was so nice and my friend was SO patient.  I still have trouble understanding people when they talk at normal talking speed, but I believe that will come with time.  It is also apparent that my vocabulary needs to increase.  I do read Calvin and Hobbes in Norwegian (here they are called Tommy og Tigern) as a learning tool.  I realize from reading, or trying to read, the comics and other books I have that I need to know more words. 

Last week I also had the opportunity to help someone who is trying to move.  I used the bus and after a few mistakes, misunderstandings and an hour long walk to the place I really needed to be I now understand the bus system.  It has been nice to help people and to have the ability to just be a blessing where needed.  Tonight I am off to help in the cafe and will get more practice conversing in Norwegian. 

Thanks to all who have been praying for me, I truly appreciate it and if you would, please continue to pray. 

Takk (Thank you in Norsk)

No comments:

Post a Comment