Sunday, October 7, 2012

Off to a Great Start!

The first week in Hamar or should I say...først uken i Hamar:

I have travelled to Hamar to live with four wonderful youth leaders that work with the Free Church (Frikirke). Since July, I had planned to move outside of the YWAM base for a month or two to learn Norwegian.  YWAM Skien is mostly Norwegians, but because of the international status the people at the base speak primarily English, thus it was recommended that I go away so I could learn, breath, and think Norwegian.  I arrived in Hamar on the first of October. 

This week I have heard more Norwegian than ever.  My housemates mainly speak Norwegian around the house, unless I cannot understand what they say and they are talking directly to me (this is often, sadly, as my vocabulary is not large enough, but usually they try to communicate first in Norwegian).  I have also continued my studies to increase my vocabulary, needless to say my mind is quite tired after a day.  Trying to think, talk, listen, read and communicate all in Norwegian has my brain spinning.  I have been frustrated, VERY frustrated, during this week and I hear that is a good sign (it does not feel so great though).  I am so grateful for the kindness, gentleness and patience of the Norwegians here, truly they are so kind. 

I have also had chances to help out at the cafe run by several churches in the city. (A group of churches came together and run a cafe 3 days a week for the local community, it is so wonderful to watch the body of Christ come together and serve the city in this way.)  I have also gone to a prayer meeting, helped with some practical things at the house and church, been to the weekly youth meeting, attended the Sunday service and met many great people. 

Please, when you think about me - pray.  Pray for breakthrough in understanding. Pray that I would bless and be a blessing to the church and people here.  Please pray that I would have patience with myself and the learning process.  Lastly, pray I would have fun!

The picture is the view from the kitchen window.  Often in the morning I sit by this window to eat breakfast, so lovely! 

2 comments: